Great Domaines’ Annual Icons Tasting Experience: the world’s most coveted wines
THE LOT INFO
A rare opportunity to taste some of the world’s most sought-after wines from the most iconic and revered names from the treasured region of Burgundy in France.
Great Domaines was established in 2000, when it started importing fine wine from a handful of top domaines in Burgundy. Right from the start, our focus has been on importing domaines that are at the very top of the qualitative scale in their respective regions. Today our portfolio stretches across 116 producers, including the likes of Domaine de la Romanée-Conti, Vega-Sicilia, Sassicaia, Soldera, Egon Müller, Champagne Salon, Jean-Louis Chave, Giuseppe Quintarelli, Clos Rougeard, Solaia and Château Petrus, among other iconic producers. Our success lies in the direct and personal relationships we have with each one of our producers and domaines. This bond allows us the privilege of importing wines that you would struggle to find elsewhere in the fine wine market, especially Burgundy. Since the beginning, Great Domaines’ goal has been to focus on giving wine-lovers in South Africa the opportunity to buy and drink fine wine from some of the most revered domaines in Europe.
Many of the very best wines from Burgundy have become so desirable that they have in turn become increasingly difficult to acquire. This has resulted in prices in the open markets overseas to skyrocket. It is for this reason that Great Domaines has decided to create this once in a lifetime tasting experience for just 14 guests. Two of these seats will be made available to the Cape Wine Auction, to be sold to one lucky bidder.
Like any special occasion, this year’s icons tasting will begin with some bubbly and arguably the most famous and rarest of them all, Champagne Salon. The 1997 vintage will be served and to put into context just how special any bottle of Salon is, the wine is only made as a vintage champagne and only in the very best of years. Since 1905, Salon has declared just 39 vintages.
The experience will then move to white Burgundy – firstly with the grand cru vineyard of Corton-Charlemagne and from the vintage 2005 from the darling of the Côte de Beaune, Domaine Bonneau du Martray. Indeed, no domaine is more synonymous with Corton-Charlemagne than Bonneau du Martray. Just two wines are produced at the Domaine, a Corton-Charlemagne (white wine) and a Corton (red wine) – both grands crus. In keeping with a theme, the second wine is also from the 2005 vintage, but from the village of Meursault where there are no grand cru classified vineyards, even though a few may deserve to be. The wine is a premier cru “Porusots” from one of Meursault’s finest names, Domaine Guy Roulot.
Attention then turns to six red Burgundy wines, all from the exceptional 2009 vintage, that very few people ever have the chance to taste in one sitting. Included in the selection is an Échézeaux Grand Cru from the world’s finest wine producer, Domaine de la Romanée-Conti whose wines are arguably the most sought-after in the world. Joining it are a Chambertin Grand Cru from the illustrious Domaine Armand Rousseau in Gevrey-Chambertin, a Chambertin Clos de Beze Grand Cru from Domaine Robert Groffier, a Clos Saint Denis Grand Cru from Domaine Dujac, a pseudo grand cru in the Gevrey-Chambertin Premier Cru “Clos Saint Jacques” from Domaine Jean-Marie Fourrier and finally, from the lauded Domaine Méo-Camuzet, an Échézeaux Grand Cru. The current market value of the wines that will be poured is in excess of R300,000.
The wine tasting will be paired with an 8-course degustation menu curated by one of South Africa’s leading chefs.
Two iconic bottles to take home: Vega Sicilia 2003 Único and Domaine Méo-Camuzet 2010 Clos de Vougeot Grand Cru
In addition to the tasting experience, the winning bidder will also take home with them two iconic fine wine gems in a 2003 Único from the ‘First Growth’ of Spain, Vega Sicilia in Ribera del Duero, and the 2010 Clos de Vougeot Grand Cru from Domaine Méo-Camuzet.
Terms and Conditions
- Tasting and dinner is part of a group tasting with 12 other guests.
- The bidder can choose the city of choice i.e. Johannesburg or Cape Town.
- Once date has been set and agreed upon no changes can occur and no compensation will be offered.
- The value of the auction lot cannot be exchanged for cash.
- This offer is only valid in 2022.
THE LOT SUMMARY
- Experience a once-in-a-lifetime wine tasting menu with eight of the most iconic Burgundy domaines.
- You and your partner will be two of just 14 guests to exclusively taste the likes of an Échézeaux Grand Cru from Domaine de la Romanée-Conti and a Chambertin Grand Cru from Domaine Armand Rousseau in Gevrey-Chambertin.
- The tasting will start with the famous Champagne, Salon, and will be followed by a degustation menu of eight courses paired with six grands crus and two premiers crus.
- In addition, the winning bidder will also take home with them two fine wine gems in a 2003 Único from Vega Sicilia in Ribera del Duero, and then the 2010 Clos de Vougeot Grand Cru from Domaine Méo-Camuzet.