Lionel Smit and Chris Erasmus – An Artistic & Gastronomical Explosion
The Lot Info
The Lot Summary
on canvas, sculpture, silkscreen, video and public installations. Smit’s work has been exhibited locally and internationally in prestigious galleries, art fairs and public spaces, including a solo exhibition at the Museum of Contemporary Art in North Miami and various public sculptures in the US including Union Square, New York City. Smit’s painting has also been featured on the cover of Christie’s catalogue in London 2009.
Recent exhibitions include Obscura, a solo exhibition with the Museum of Contemporary Art in Miami and Divide, a solo exhibition with Art | Life in Los Angeles. Over the past 10 years he has established a substantial international following with collectors ranging from the Standard Chartered Bank to Laurence Graff Art Collection at Delaire Graff Wine Estate.
Today Smit is based in Somerset West, Cape Town. His process as an artist
today remains adaptive, inventive, and physically engaging. He supports
several charities on a regular basis with donations of artworks for auction, including ArtAngels, Wild Aid and the MAD Charity.
Together they present the Lionel Smit & Chris Erasmus Lot for which the
successful bidder will get:
· An original Lionel Smit resin and fibreglass sculpture titled Forge which
has an estimated value of R180,000.
· Dinner – designed and prepared by Chris Erasmus – for 12 guests at the
beautiful Lionel Smit Studio, paired with Lionel Smit wines.
· A signed case of each of Lionel Smit Wines. His Series #1 – a 100%
Grenache Blanc (“Weightless intensity, effortless appreciation”) and his Series #2 – 50% Syrah, 50% Cinsault Noir (“Elegant and easy with a true sense of place”).
- Lionel Smit Sculpture: FORGE. Resin and fibreglass – Hand finished with automotive paint – 2016. Edition 2 of 6 – dimensions: 97 x 80 x 62 cm.
- Dinner for 12 guests prepared by Chef Chris Erasmus of Foliage restaurant at Lionel Smit Studio, paired with Lionel Smit wines.
- A signed case of each of LS Wines.